Tuesday, October 2, 2007

EXPEDITION #2: Vatohoranana

I LOVE LEMURS!!!

Week 6:

Wow, my last full week of research in MadLand! I am on expedition in Vatohoranana, a campsite in the almost pristine forest. It has been much more enjoyable than Valo, both weather and health-wise. There are actual wooden structures to protect our tents and it's been sunny!

I was uber excited yesterday when three Varecia came to visit camp and were really close to us! So amazing...I could watch them for hours. Why am I doing a project on plants??? Anyways, we attempted a night hike, but failed to see anything. I was using my crank flashlight, which is great until I need to recrank it, and then it's loud and obnoxious.

One downside to this expedition has come in the form of potatoes. I now not only have fried omelets for meals, but potatoes as well! Second downside is that I can't stay asleep for more than two hours at a time, and so I wake up exhausted every morning. Woohoo. My Malagasy self-lessons have failed, and I've basically given up learning any more than I already know. I just need to know how to say "that is rude" (tsy tsara - not nice) - so I can tell of the evil little children who keep "vazaha-ing" me!

Excitement! I arrived at the station on Friday after hiking back from Vato. The president of SUNY Stonybrook had come to visit, so we had a few special events. The next day, we were supposed to be hosting this billionaire on his vacation, but last minute change of plans landed all of us lowly researchers in the nicest hotel in Ranomafana! I get a whole queen-sized bed for myself, a shower in my room, and a balcony! AMAZING!

Weekly Tidbit:

A short rant on Malagasy environmentalism - I haven't been to any other developing countryies, but I would assume if they have any touristic value the mentality is the same. The guides take pride in knowing a lot about the animals and plants, but it seems more for the prize it brings in terms of economic stability. Guides are more interested in the comfort of their charges than the integrity of the environment - like pulling down a chameleon so a picture could be taken; shining a flashlight in the nocturnal mouse lemur's eyes. I admit I partook in this waste by not rebelling against the constant fire (and therefore CO2 emission) on expedition, but it was so cold. It is things like this, and just tossing cans and bottles into a pit at camp that really drives home the difference in cultures in relation to environmental ethics. Normal people are even worse, just throwing containers out the windows of taxi-brousses. There are NO garbage bins in the cities. The difference between protected and non-protected areas is astounding in terms of vegetation, but people are barely scraping by. People need the land to survive, so they just use it. Maybe we should all just go to the moon!

Depressedly yours - over and out!

No comments: